These cast-iron-baked beauties are the perfect sweet treat when you're out camping in the woods this summer. Filled with delicious fresh strawberries, rhubarb, and a little Montana Mex Sweet Seasoning, these pies are very easy and very tasty to make! This recipe is going to walk you through how to make a 9-inch round pie from dough, to filling, to oven preparation. You can cook these in a dutch oven over some very hot Royal Oak Coals, or bake them at home in your oven (although we highly recommend the coal method). Make these pies your own by putting a fun design on top! They're best served a-la-mode, along side good friends, and a roaring campfire.
- 5 cups of flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of Montana Mex Sweet Seasoning
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. Shape dough into flat discs and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- On a clean surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out both dough pieces to fit a 9 inch lightly greased pie pan. Place rolled out dough in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup Honey
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, honey, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add filling to pie.
- Brush edges of pie with melted butter
- Add top crust and firmly seal or crimp the edges.
- Brush pastry with butter.
Baking in a Dutch oven or Home oven
- Preheat a Dutch oven over a bed of Royal Oak coals or a home oven to 350 * F
- Bake for 40- 45min
- If using a Dutch oven you will want to add approx. 3 cups of hot coals to the cast iron lid and check on your pie a few times throughout the baking time.